Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Week 7 - Ibiúna and Vargem Grande - Be Grateful - Sister Bido



You better fall in love with this email because I just walked 3 miles to write it.  So everything’s been a blur and all the days ran in together.  

Tuesday we left the CTM at 7am and arrived at the mission home.  We had interviews with the president and then we went to the church beside and had lunch and after we were introduced to our companions.  My companion is Sister Modesto and she is 23.  After, we waited 2 hours for a bus to take us from Sao Paulo to our area.  Our area is Ibuona and Jardim Grande.  It’s not rich but it’s not the poorest it could be.  There are quite a few wealthy people here but also a lot of poor.  It’s a huge area!!!! Anyways, after we got here, there are 4 of us in our little house.  A total of 8 missionaries in our ward with 4 elders.  The first day was excruciatingly painful because I was nervous and scared and understood nothing and couldn’t talk.  Our area is the furthest in the mission so the onibus took us 2 hours away.  It sucked.  We didn’t eat dinner.  

It rains every day!! Mostly at night, but usually showers randomly so I always have my umbrella.  I’ve probably walked around 60 miles this week, maybe more.  I’m not really sure.  The area is really hilly too so that’s fun.  Also, no one walks on the sidewalks, it’s weird.  We always walk in the middle of the street and cars just go around us.. how strange.  There are dogs everywhere!!!!! and the dogs are nice but it’s a mission rule to not pet stray dogs.  I never have water so I’m always thirsty.  Yes I use my LifeStraw bottle, but there´s this one dog we pass chained up every day and never has water so I always give him water, and all the other dogs too because its breaks my heart.. 

Also, yesterday we received cake to take home with us after church and on our way home there was a man with crutches and 1 leg going up the biggest hill in our area and I gave him my cake because I’m positive he was homeless.  Thursday night, we met with an investigator and committed her to baptism, so that was awesome.  I made her this cute bookmark with Moroni´s promise on it and she loved it!

So the computer I’m using, we have to pay for every 10 minutes we use.. how freaking crazy, and we only have $130 Reais (pronounced hey-ice) each month to spend.  

We have lunch with a member every day, except Pdays, all 8 of us.  Usually the food is alright, but I just don’t like it that much.  Thursday we had lunch at this woman’s house up on a mountain up a 2 mile giant dirt hill.  It was literally absolutely the worst climb of my life.. imagine Crowder’s but all steep and muddy because it just rained all night long.  Yep.  But on the bright side, we got up there and all was awesome.  Her house was awesome and basically a mansion in Brasil.  Inside her gate, she had a soccer field in her front yard, and a pool, and a huge house.  So every house is guarded with a giant gate or fence.  EVERY.  It doesn´t matter how poor the person is, there are bars and a gate/ whatever around the house, and there are only houses here, no apartments.  Anyways, so this lady literally had a buffet for us, and then a buffet of ice cream after!!! Brasil has the best ice cream in the entire world!!!!

We take the onibus at least 2 times a day because of how huge our area is, but that’s okay.  So we have 2 baptisms in December.  One on the 5th and another on the 12th.  Christmas is huge here, it´s awesome.  Basically my days consist of waking up, jogging around our neighborhood with another sister, studying, then working, then lunch, then working and working and walking and walking until 9 at night.  The bugs are not crazy or exotic yet, in fact the only thing annoying about them is the mosquitoes.  I did get eaten alive yesterday in this one neighborhood.  

So a really interesting thing is that at night when it’s not raining, people start fires on the sidewalk and everyone just drops their trash there and burns it.  

Mom, I did get the package with ramen and stuff and the battery.  Nothing was opened and all is well.  Thank you very much for it all! My health is fine.  I’ve now lost 9 kilos since I’ve been in Brasil...  so all of my clothes are huge and my skirts look weird on me now.  Sleeping is fine, air conditioning does not exist.  My heart is sad a lot but its works fine.  I’ve become very humbled.  We have a washer for our clothes and then we have to hang them to dry them.  My companion is really awesome, she talks and talks and is totally okay that I don’t completely understand every story she’s telling me.  All in all, this week was really good.  Tough, but good! 

OH! another interesting thing, so in our bathroom, we have a shower.... KIND OF. There's like a shower faucet and head but no actual shower.. so legit we shower and the water goes directly all over the bathroom floor and toilet and sink because I guess you could say theres a sink and toilet in our shower? totally weird

So another cool thing that happened, the night before we left the MTC, all the sisters in our district recieved priesthood blessings from one of our Elders. Elder Davis gave me a blessing of comfort that I´ll always know you're thinking of me and reminded how much support I have lifting me up.  It was really awesome blessing and his first one! So if he forgets to tell his mom that, you can!

The church is in a building like you would see on the strip at Myrtle Beach.. no computers.  And no.  I need one of the thumb drives I can insert my sd card in and transfer.

Sister Bido
Sister Bido
Brazil Sao Paulo West Mission
Rua Doutor Rui Batista Pereira, 165
Jardim Caxingui- Sao Paulo- SP
CEP: 05517-080
Brasil
Sister Bido's Picture Album.


No comments:

Post a Comment