Sunday, October 18, 2015

Week 1 - CTM - The Journey of Sister Bido



So, first thing first- as missionaries and representatives of the church, we do not address the Sisters as Irma. We are still Sisters due to the fact that in Catholic church the nuns are Irmas so we cannot get that confused.

Anyway, the first three days were the roughest. Not a single one of our classes are in English, they are all in Portugeuse so it was insane trying to figure out what page we were even on in whatever book it was they were wanting us to be in. I don't remember a play by play of every day because all our days run together. We wake up at 6:30, and go to sleep at 10:30pm.

Also, we started teaching an investigator last Friday named Maria. She is committed to baptism and is on vacation to Europe right now. We are struggling teaching Maria due to the fact that our Portuguese sucks, but whatever. As of yesterday, we have a new investigator named Jessica. When we taught her yesterday, our lesson didn't exactly go as planned. We were teaching the Restoration of the Gospel and Jessica asked a question about why it was important to follow God's commanmdment to be baptized if she was already living a happy life. So me, not very good in the language, experienced the true gift of tongues in that moment. I bore my testimony to her of the love that our Savior has for us and the power of prayer. I don't remember everything I said in it because I didn't know I knew those words. My companion and I were in tears and so was Jessica and she promised she would pray to know if getting baptised was something she needed to do. 

Also, I wrote a song in Portuguese so as soon as I make a video of it I will email it to you so you can make me famous by sending it viral.

Today is our pday and we just got back from the temple. PEOPLE DRIVE THEIRCARS ON THE SIDEWALKS WHENEVER THEY WANT AND ALSO THERE ARE PARKING SPOTS ON THE SIDEWALK. So yeah, pray that I don't get hit by a car please. I pray every night that me being here blesses all of you back home and I have an insane amount of faith that it will.

I also found out that the CTM is in my mission, which is absolutely awesome.

My district here is perfect, seriously it's like my tiny family here. Sis Namauu,Sis Cannon , Sis Lewis, Elder Davis, Elder Hayemore, Elder Light,and Elder Lake.  Last week we had almost 7 hours of free study time without an instructor everyday so we goofed off a lot.

Sunday night we had a really inspirational devotional led by the CTM president.  It was in Portuguese too of course, but they gave us headphones and listened to an English translator. Basically, this time right now does not belong to me anymore. I don't belong to myself. It doesn't matter that I have a headache and only slept 4 hours last night. It doesn't matter that a weird bug bit my hand and it swelled to 6 giant inflated marshmallows, because this is the Lord's time. I belong to him. And this is his mission, so I will not waste it and I will not complain. (and no mom I don't know what kind of bug it was, and yes I'm okay, and no I dont have malaria or yellow fever). 

The food here is so awesome, but so weird. I've lost 2 kilos here, whatever that means. I'm learning so many things about my purpose here and so many important teachings and understandings of the gospel. the coolest part about these halls is that the spirit never leaves. You can walk to the bathroom and stand in there and just feel the spirit radiating through the walls! It is SO awesome and I wish every one could experience this. We have 2 Brazilian roomates who absolutely love me. One of them was trying to dress me in her clothes instead of mine this morning! They help us out with learning phrases and pronunciation so that is pretty awesome.

We only have 45 minutes to email so it's stressful trying to think of everything over all this time in just one little email. We have rice and beans for every meal except breakfast. I don't eat breakfast here, it's some weird porridge so I just grab a banana or an apple. It was The Day of Children here one day this week! Monday was the holiday and the CTM was decorated and they gave us a yummy bag of chocolates. They always have 2 different meats for lunch and dinner, usually chicken and pork or fish and pork.  The desserts here are all extremely weird and I dont like any of them. I'm sorry this email isn't the best, but I'm slowly learning the language. I can understand fourteen times better than I can speak, so my understanding is pretty good. 

Tell Rachel and Joey that I'm terribly sorry, but what an amazing and exciting thing that they will be able to raise her with The Lord holding their actual hands. 

It's been a really rough week adjusting but I am truly enjoying myself. I know the Lord blesses me each and every day and I've really opened my eyes to this. Each hard day I endure ends with the perfect inspiration and motivation that I need to push me through the next day and be okay. Also, the email page here won't let me email my email group so that it's a problem for now.

Mom make sure my friends have my email please! And thank you for all you are doing to support and love me, you and dad are the best and I don't think I'll ever be able to express my love and gratitude enough to my Heavenly Father for the earthly parents he has blessed me with. Remember that every day is a blessing and the cup of water in your hand is just as much of a blessing as the clothes on your back and the bed you sleep on.

I love you all so much. 

P.S.Yes I'm tracking actual investigators. [IN PORTUGUESE]. Times up just about, talk to you next week! I miss you all so much and am so thankful for all your support.

Love,
Sister Bido
Alma 26:12

My address for the next 5 weeks...
Sister Justine Bido
Brazil Sao Paulo West Mission
Brazil Missionary Training Center
Rua Padre Antonio D'Angelo, 121Casa Verde
CEP 02516-040 Sao Paulo-SP Brazil

Sister Bido's Picture Album (select the picture to bring up the album)

No comments:

Post a Comment