Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Week 21 - Jardim Celeste - And of Some Have Compassion, Making a Difference


Gente!!!! WHAT A WEEK pela madrugada! A lot happened and went on, which is good.

Yes Mom, I received the package but either someone robbed my sunscreen or you forgot to send some.. :( either way, THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGE!!!!!

So my highlights from this week. We were walking in the street contacting referĂȘncias. I looked across the street and saw a girl staring at us that obviously was homeless. Sister Oliveira and I decided that we wanted to talk with her. I looked back at her and smiled and she smiled at me and then ran away, running barefoot on the side of the street. I pulled Sister behind me by the hand and chased after her. We crossed the street and caught up to her! As we started to get close to her she stopped running and turned around and ran into me and hugged me!!!! Then hugged Sister Oliveira. We talked with her and it was obvious she had a mental problem and I felt so sad. She had a baby but was taken away from her and she showed us a stash of grocery store adds and newspapers of pictures of babies she had found and kept because she is looking for her baby.. but we’re almost positive she is (I forget the word but it’s when you hear voices and have people talking to you in your head). I asked if she had already eaten lunch but she couldn’t make up her mind if she had or not. So we took her to the bakery so she could eat bread and ham. She was content, but then had to leave to continue looking for her baby.

Then the same night we were walking through a part of the area mais sketchy towards our house when we heard someone screaming "MISSIONARIAS". It was a woman sitting on a bench crying, drunk, wanting us to let her stay the night with us because she didn’t want to stay on the street another night. We gave her O Livro De Mormon and talked with her about changing her life and that we’re here to help, because that’s all we could at 9:12pm. We said we would meet here in the same spot the next morning at 9am. But with this woman it was different. I didn’t feel sad for her and I searched in my heart for the sorrowness and guilt I wanted to feel for her, but I didn’t.. and on our way home I didn’t understand. Sister Oliveir wanted to call o bispo and ask what we could do and see if she could stay there with him, but I said no.. I wanted to say yes, but it didn’t feel right.

The next morning we arrived at the bench and waiting an hour for Zilda.. she never showed up. So we left, and kept walking. Instead, not far from the same street we saw a little girl holding a baby sitting down crying and had O Licro De Mormon beside her that was a little ripped and so dirty. It was the one we gave Zilda. The girl Samara, said she saw a woman throw it down so she picked it up. She’s 14yrs old and the 1 yr old baby is hers. Yesterday she came to church with us and we started teaching her entire family last night. I don’t think it was a coincidence that I felt wrong about Zilda. I think The Lord put her in our path so we could find Samara and be able to help her and her family. I’m sure of this, absolutely sure of it.

I’ve been studying Christ-like attributes and my heart has opened so much more. I’m also learning how to rely fully on the Spirit. We really have a purpose here, every one of us missionaries in every area we go in. At times we go and leave and never know why, other times the why slaps us in the face. Either way, I love being a missionary and helping these people here. Every person that walks by us in the streets is going through something in their life and has problems or trials. The one thing we all have in common that we cannot live without and need to survive, is the love of Christ. And this is why we’re here.

com caridade,
Sister Bido

No comments:

Post a Comment